Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIE), the European division of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Inc. is a major player in the video game industry. SIE deals with the research and development, production, and sales of hardware and software for PlayStation video game systems. It also develops and publishes video game titles and is made up of several subsidiaries covering the company’s biggest markets: North America, Europe and Asia.
SIE identified a need to improve communication across the EMEA region and with their Japanese headquarters. The SIE Human Resources team approached Learnlight requesting the design and delivery of a bespoke language training program to over 70 delegates.
SIE were faced with several challenges:
- They needed to raise the status of language training and engage SIE employees with training content in order to meet their 75% attendance target.
- The core content needed to be adapted to the varied needs of SIE employees.
- They required a flexible solution that would work around their employees’ busy schedules.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
Developing Effective Relationships with International Colleagues
The training has delivered tangible benefits to the business in the form of increased communication across all SIE territories and improved staff morale and retention.
The key requirements of the training were to train SIE employees in European and Japanese languages to improve company-wide communication.
The training would be offered to employees with a genuine business need or those who have shown commitment in the past for development purposes. SIE wanted to maximize the return on investment through high levels of delegate attendance.
Learnlight and SIE worked closely together to ensure that the training was adapted to employee requirements. An open day was held to provide training information and give delegates an opportunity to ask any questions.
Based on feedback from questionnaires and language assessments Learnlight designed a personalized program for SIE employees.
The program involved:
- Company-wide training in all target languages
- Flexible scheduling to work around SIE employees’ busy diaries
- Up to date monitoring information for managers and delegates to monitor progress and ensure high levels of attendance and employee satisfaction
- Cross-cultural training delivered to senior Directors and Managers to help SIE (UK) to work effectively with their international colleagues
As a result of the Learnlight training program, many SIE employees are working towards being competent in a second language. Due to the high attendance levels, the program has helped SIE to engage and motivate its employees. The training has delivered tangible benefits to the business in the form of increased communication across all SIE territories and improved staff morale and retention.
Based on the success of the training program and the high-level customer service provided, SIE has regularly renewed their agreement with Learnlight.